Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hey, guys! Another week down! This week's post is going to be slightly different. In the past, I have been "theming" the posts to fit a topic. This week will be a random assortment of goodies that I have not been able to fit into the recent topics! I may repeat this in the future. So, without delay:

Random Topic #1: Trip to San Antonio


While on this trip, we have the privilege of taking bi-weekly trips to see the various sights around Guatemala. We have seen, and I have shown you, various museums, ruins, and religious sights. Since the rips are every other week, we have one weekend to ourselves to relax, catch up on homework, do laundry, and hang out. This has been such a weekend. However, we did have the opportunity to make a small trip the the pueblo (town) of San Antonio, a small village outside Antigua. The purpose of our trip was to visit a small group of women who make many of the products sold in the markets here in Guatemala. The unique thing about this group is that they make all their products by hand. They specialize in blankets, trinkets, and various types of clothing. I realize that sounds like a vague description. This is because I found from pipes, to baby carriers, to masks in this small factory! While we were there, the women who make the items gave us a presentation. they informed is that they were trying to preserve the customs of the Mayan people who originated there. These customs (and presentation) include how to make the clothing, the procedure and customs of a traditional Mayan wedding, how to make tortillas, and how to make coffee! This was a very cool experience. In each aspect of the presentation, we were encouraged to participate. Four students engaged in a mock wedding, everyone made tortillas, and a few students were able to try grinding coffee by hand! In addition, we all got to try some special stew that the Mayans eat on special occasions.


Method of making blankets.



Depiction of traditional Mayan wedding.



Us learning how to make tortillas.

Hand-grinding coffee!


Random Topic #2: Laundry

Upon our arrival, we were given coupons to the internet cafe and the laundromat that are associated with the school. When it came time to do laundry, we took our clothes to the laundromat. In addition to the realization that the walk was a little bit farther than I would like to carry the amount of laundry that I produce, I found that I produce much more laundry than I want to pay for each week! Considering these things, we (Corey and I) decided to buy our own laundry soap (About three American dollars for what we will be able to use for many weeks. In the laundromat, we would pay almost a dollar per pound.) and give hand washing a go! Our host family graciously gave us access to their laundry equipment, consisting of a stationary stone washboard, a water source, several tubs for soaking, and drying lines. Following the example of one of the students living here before us, we put soap in a basin, soaked our clothes in it for about a half hour, scrubbed the clothes on the stationary stone, wrung them out, and hung them up! Needless to say, it rained within an hour of when I hung them up and continued through the night! Consequently, they are still hanging up. I have to say there was something very gratifying about washing my clothes in this manner. It was very enjoyable to stand out in the warm air, listen to some music, and scrub my clothes. I plan to continue in this manner all semester.

Soaking my clothes in detergent.

The washboard.


Random Topic #3: Kenneth's Birthday Party!

So today was Kenneth's birthday! Kenneth is a little boy that lives with us (Elder and Marina are his grandparents.) and he turned seven today. Elder and Marina are awesome hosts, and put on quite the party. We were invited and encouraged to participate in every aspect, and also were encouraged to invite some friends. My good friend Kayla ended up coming and took some good swings at the pinata.
The entertainment and the birthday boy!

We do pinatas right, here in Antigua!



Random Topic #4: General Update

As a general update, I thought I might let everyone know that all is well here in Antigua. No more earthquakes since my last update and all students are well and healthy. My classes are chugging along and I can tell I have been improving greatly. I am becoming more confident daily. During the weekends I get anxious because I do not have the opportunity to speak as much Spanish as I do on a normal basis during the week. So right about now I am itching to get back to the grindstone. The majority of the students in our group are finished with Spanish classes for the semester, as the goal of their lessons was some culture and the ability to get around in Antigua sufficiently. There will be around seven of us still going to class every day, making the 10:00 "pausa," or break, a little less of a social experience. Everything has become comfortable and many things are becoming more and more natural. This being said, I still have a general feeling of adventure here and I love the fact that I can go out at any time and experience something new. It definitely does not seem like we have been here for four weeks, but we are coming up on that mark! I am torn between the need for progress and forward motion and the desire for this trip to never end!

1 comment:

  1. Love the video! You will have to show me this in person when you get home :)

    ReplyDelete