Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Hey, everyone!

I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in Panahachel (Pana), Guatemala after a long weekend trip to some of the more out-of-the-way pueblos. As I was contemplating sleep, I realized that I should take this opportunity to write an update! I had not planned on posting this until tomorrow. However, we have a bit of free time tonight so I thought I would take advantage. As stated, we are on a long weekend trip, and most of this update will describe our different activities.

We departed from Antigua right after morning Spanish classes on Friday. Our first destination was our hotel in Panahachel. We arrived, dropped our bags and went into the marketplace. Pana is a relatively tourist-friendly destination and there are plenty of tiendas and street-side shops to visit. For dinner, we visited a small restaurant/music venue nearby that Paul had previously been in contact with. The restaurant's name is Solomon's Porch, and it is owned by a team of missionaries. They work out of the restaurant with the community. Bringing in teams from the states, they reach out to the homeless, drug/alcohol addicted, and orphans of Pana. We received a presentation of the work there and talked with the volunteers that make it happen. All the members of the team are one hundred percent volunteers and work to feed and care for those that need it. Most of the team is from the southern states and have given up comfortable lives to move to Guatemala. Two of the volunteers we spoke with are ninety years old! It was very encouraging to see the work of God being done in such a big way!

Saturday morning, we boarded a boat in Lake Atitlan and made for San Juan! The boat ride lasted around forty minutes and we were surrounded by volcanoes on all sides! The boat was just big enough to fit all twenty five-ish of us, but the ride was very enjoyable, as we had nothing but beautiful sights for 360 degrees!

Lake Atitlan

The lake has risen so high that many homes have gone under water!

Our first stop in San Juan was a coffee cooperative. There, they only grow natural, organic coffee. We were able to take a tour and see exactly how the coffee was grown, what the difference between regular and organic coffee is, and the process for cleaning and drying coffee. On top of producing some mighty fine coffee, they use every product of their process in another part of the same mission, or sell it to someone who can use it. We were able to be witness to the fact that not one waste product is truly waste, as it goes to good use. The hulls from the coffee, for example, are added to fertilizer to reuse in planting. Being a coffee lover, myself, I especially enjoyed sampling the coffee! Another part of the tour that I had the privilege of experiencing was translating for the group! Our posse split up into two smaller groups that would be more easily maneuvered. This meant that our go-to girl for translation, Crystal, would not be able to translate for one of the groups. Spanish majors were promptly asked and I was promptly volunteered to meet the need. This was both exciting and a little nerve wracking for me. I elicited the help of my good friend and excellent Spanish speaker, Kayla, which made for a bit of an easier time when the sentences of our guide got a little long. The tour and translation were a success! I enjoyed the test of my skill and the opportunity to help my group!


The coffee plant and beans. These may be around two weeks before they are ready to harvest.

Me translating for the tour.


(Click to enlarge.) This is the coffee bean at every stage. Berry, raw bean, shelled bean, roasted bean, and ground bean.


After the coffee coop, we visited a group of women that were working to preserve the craftsmanship of their ancestors. They work in artesian fabrics primarily and we were actually able to help them make scarves! We each had a teacher and learned the method they used for making their fabric. It was very fun to work with the ladies and very difficult to try and replicate their fluid motions! Their work is very hard and I'm sure we all gained a respect for the art that they do.


So I won't be wearing the scarf, but it will make a great gift! This is Alexandra, my teacher

After a restful night in our hotel in San Juan, we headed to another town named San Diego, which is notorious for having been heavily occupied by the Guatemalan army in the years of the civil war. This town has much rich history. After this, we returned to Pana to eat and sleep. I've eaten. I have yet to sleep! We did get a chance to take a refreshing dip in the lake!

As far as a general update goes, you can be sure I'm busy! Aside from the crazy weekend that is coming to a close, I have been working, going to class, and trying to fit in some R&R every once in a while. As stated, I go to class for four hours every day and now, I have started working a minimum of four and a half hours at work every day. I work at a jade shop named "The House of Jade" or "La Casa del Jade. I am working in marketing and doing a lot of miscellaneous work, as well. All in all, everything is buzzing along as usual here in Guatemala!

Don't forget! I've added a Google + "+1" button to the side of the page. Give it a click!

1 comment: