Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011


Hello and thanks for tuning in once again to read about my times in Guatemala! Another relatively slow week, but don’t you worry! Things are brewing!

On Tuesday, we made a trip into the city to visit the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala. This was a great experience. Although I was reluctant to put my studies and internship work off for a day, I was grateful for the opportunity to learn about what the United States Government is doing in other countries and in Guatemala, specifically. Primarily, the embassy is to support and be of aid to travelers in Guatemala from the States. For example, upon entering the country, a traveler would contact the embassy and register their location of residence and a telephone number. This way, if a family member would like to locate them from the States, the embassy could get a hold of them. Also, the embassy represents the U.S. government and helps communications between the countries. We were able to meet with a public relations official, a few marines that protect the base, some local workers, and an intern. Each gave a description of what they did and this opened my eyes to a lot of new information!

The rest of our trip included a visit to an orphanage that one of the girls in our group has worked at in the past and a school that another girl in our group will be working at in the future. Both were quite enjoyable. The orphanage, Casa Bernabe, runs in a very unique way where the orphans live in houses on the facility in a very home-like environment. The children are housed until they are eighteen years old and then programs are utilized to make sure they have places to live and work. The students will have received a high school education and life skills training or will go to college.

I would be remiss if I did not inform you all about the rainy season. A few weeks ago, you may remember, I posted that the rainy season lasted a bit longer than normal. This turned out to be a great understatement. It has been raining every day, save a few, for around five weeks. Aside from making doing laundry kind of difficult, the rainy season is not too bad. I’m not a huge fan of walking around in the rain or being damp because of it and, all in all, I’m glad it is finally over. We have enjoyed two whole days rain free and full of sun. I was disgustingly happy on Saturday when I just sat out in the hammock listening to music and taking a nap. The simple things, you know?

By way of general update I have finally started my internship! I am working for a jade factory that makes jewelry and replications of authentic Mayan artworks. I primarily work in marketing but I will be experiencing many different things during my time at La Casa Del Jade. I will be doing a more in-depth report of this in the future. I am ecstatic for the opportunity and excited to tell you more in the future.

In case you are worried and angry (I’m sure you are.), I want to reassure you that I have not forgotten to take pictures. I have a slew of them! Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take pictures in the embassy and the rainy season does not necessarily make for good pictures. In short, I promise more pictures and videos in the future!

P.S. Another great blog about Guatemala! http://kaylaenguatemala.wordpress.com

2 comments:

  1. Hey dude!! Nice blog post.. thank you for the shout out. Maybe now people will read about rain from a less hater perspective! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it's a possibility. But does the rain really deserve equal representation?

    ReplyDelete