Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Hey, everyone!

This week's post is going to be a brief update on me and my life followed by some information on the Gilman Scholarship Program. Gilman is the program that made it possible for me to come here to Guatemala and I would like to make a little more information of theirs available to you!

I have been doing very well and all is going swimmingly here! Classes are humming along as normal and I am enjoying my studies immensely! It is interesting: each weekend, as I have fewer opportunities to speak Spanish, I feel an urgency to make it back to class on Monday, as if I am forgetting so quickly I can't afford two days without class! Me cae muy bien mi maestro! This translates to, "My teacher fits me very well!" My teacher's name is Julio Gonzales and he is a great teacher! I will be going more in depth with my classes and studies in the future.
I am pleased to announce that I finally know what my internship is! I will be working in a Jade Museum and Shop named "La Casa del Jade." I will be doing a lot of different jobs including consulting, advertising and marketing, writing, and more. I will be keeping you up to date as I learn more!
I have been enjoying myself very much in my free time. Although we did not take a trip this weekend, I have enjoyed spending time with friends and watching a couple sporting events in a restaurant we frequent.
In general, not much to report. I believe this is a good opportunity to mention a little bit more about the scholarship program that helped me make it here!

The Gilman website states: "The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Such international study is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world." - Info Page

The BAG program is based in the thought that a study abroad program is an invaluable experience and that as many students as possible should have the opportunity to visit and study in another country. Undergraduate students that receive a Pell grant are eligible to apply. The scholarship can range in amount from three thousand to five thousand dollars. The application is relatively long and involved, including a proposal for a "follow-on project," to be completed upon or soon after return to the states. I am very grateful to this program for helping to make my trip possible! If there are questions regarding Gilman, you can email me or visit their website for more information here.

Thanks, everyone, and stay tuned for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment