Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Beach and Some Advice

Hey, everyone!

This week's post is an opportunity for me to boast... Basically, we made it out to the beach this past weekend. If you've ever been to the beach, there's not much to tell, but I have pictures! Also, I will include a few things that I suggest for people preparing to come to Guate!

While I understand it is around thirty-five degrees in Spring Arbor with the threat of snow, we enjoyed a nice day at the beach in Monterrico! The drive was around two hours through beautiful roads and small pueblos. The beach at Monterrico has very large waves and is notorious for having a very strong rip tide that threatens to pull swimmers out farther into the water if they are not careful! So we kept close to each other and frequently did head counts. Aside from suits full of sand and a few scraped knees, all are safe and well! A few of the stronger waves took me by surprise and I was thrown around pretty well! All in all, the swimming experience was very enjoyable!


Oh, and there were baby sea turtles that had been rescued!


Our restaurant.
This was my lunch, a dish called "Ceviche." This is shrimp cooked in lime acid and added to salsa. Delicious!

The sand may not have been white, but the setting was comparable to what you may see in a magazine!




On one occasion, when Corey and I were swimming, after coming up from a particularly large wave, we emerged to the sounds of our friends screaming at us to get out of the water. Slightly scared, with the images of Great Whites in our heads, we quickly made our way to the beach. We then learned that a small group of Manta Rays were swimming near us. We watched them for the next few minutes, only able to get a good look there was a clear wave about to break. Everyone is safe, however. (I'm not exactly sure about the level of danger involved with coming into contact with Manta Rays. Also, we were not sure if they were Mantas or Stingrays.) This was a great example of how watching out for each other is a great practice.

So what can you do to get ready for coming to Guatemala? I will give you some things that I have learned and wish I would have known before. Obviously, you should be given packing instructions and general instruction. The following are some suggestions that may not be put on any list or be addressed in any meeting.

First: Pack light. If your family and friends are anything like mine, they all want you to bring them back something. Some of the cool things in the market are not light! My strategy was to get together with a friend and only take one and a half suitcases of stuff. I concealed a large canvas duffel bag in the bottom of one of the suitcases. This worked well, as now we each have two suitcases for out things on the way home. As this was a good idea, I wish I would have packed even lighter. I'm an over-packer and like to have the things I need. There is really something to be said for being prepared, but, having experienced the situation full hand, I can tell you I have a half full suitcase full of unused items under my bed. Leave behind what you don't need!
One way of making sure you don't have too many clothes is to weigh them. Each week, La UniĆ³n gives us 3-6 pounds of laundry and the laundromat for free. Assuming that this practice will not change, you could do some math... If you do not plan on using the internet cafe that the school works with (there are plenty of cafes that have internet for free if you buy a coffee), the school will give you six pounds of laundry free. So, figure out how many articles of clothing represents six pounds of laundry and pack accordingly. Obviously, lighter clothes are better. As the climate is quite warm, lighter clothes are a plus in that way, as well. Also, each pound of clothing at the laundromat is around five qutezals (just under a dollar).

Second: Flexibility is key. As in any trip, foreign or domestic, ability to respond well to unexpected situations and changes in schedule is vital. No matter how organized the planner of the trip is, how far ahead reservations are made, or how solidly plans are confirmed, there will always be times when a little grace and understanding will be required from everyone. Sometimes plans change quickly, and having a flexible attitude is important. Your food will also be provided by your host families. They cook it themselves and I feel that openness to new foods and maybe even foods that you are not too find of is important and respectful.

Third: Bring more money than you think you will need, if possible. This is a specific way that you can be flexible. I'm not suggesting that you buy more expensive meals or anything like that. There will be situations and activities that are not on the itinerary that you may want to participate in. For example, we will be going on a weekend trip through a travel agency here in Antigua. The cost for this trip will be out of pocket. It is a good idea to bring money for such activities. Many such trips are available here and relatively inexpensive. Taking advantage of them is advisable. Also, make sure you bring enough for souvenirs.

Fourth: Get used to the idea of not flushing toilet paper. That's it.

Fifth: Immersion is a choice. Prepare mentally for immersing in the culture if immersion is something you desire. I especially advise that those hoping to learn the language while here actively seek out situations that will require speaking frequently. I thought that I would arrive and have no choice but to speak Spanish all the time. This was not the case for two reasons. First, Antigua is a tourist town and many people speak English for one reason or another. Many locals may see you as a chance to practice their English! Second, I am living with four English speakers. I love my roommates and I would not have my living situation any other way. However, this means that I have to look for opportunities to practice the language and learn the Guatemalan customs and culture. Before I started my internship, I realized that I was only speaking Spanish during class. That was not cutting it for me. I find that going to certain cafes and making friends is a good way to get some practice in. If an internship is a desire and option for you, it is a great way to speak Spanish frequently. Basically, go out as much as possible. It is all too easy to sit in the house and chalk it up as a night to rest. As the end of my time in Guatemala nears, it is becoming all too clear to me how valuable each night and opportunity is. For many, this will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Make the most of it! Immerse yourself as much as possible!

If you have any more questions about hos to prepare for your trip (even if not to Guatemala), don't hesitate to comment or shoot me an email.

Everything is going well and the time is passing all too quickly! This weekend was great and filled with lots of fun. We celebrated Thanksgiving today and had a very large meal at our professors house. After this, a few friends and I went to play some basketball for the first time since arriving. When we got there, there was already a game going on. The guys playing were happy to include us in their game and, thankfully, I didn't make an idiot of myself (I expected to have to shake off the rust.). This was a cool opportunity to talk to locals and hang out with them under no pretense of learning, touring, or being a foreigner in general (Well, I'm sure they knew I was a foreigner, but it was not as important while playing a sport.). We only have a couple more weeks here and I'm trying my best to keep busy and make the most of them! I am becoming very excited for seeing my friends and family at home, as I make plans for the holidays. (Oh my gosh, it's the holidays!) I did listen to the first round of Christmas music the other night. Time is flying!

Sadly, my pictures of TG dinner were not extensive, but this gem did make it out.

If you haven't already visited the Gilman website, take a look!

1 comment:

  1. Cool post man... You got a lot of valuable information in it

    ReplyDelete